Thursday, May 31, 2007

Kannapolis

I promised a final post in Asheville, and I failed, so I'll do a little of both in this post.

The day after I posted my last entry, I witnessed one of the greatest pitching performances in my five years of calling baseball games.

Mike McClendon took a no-hitter into the ninth inning of a game on Friday, May 18th. It was truly amazing. What was even more amazing, was the fact that he appeared to be even more nervous when I interviewed him four days later.

Asheville was an amazing trip. The folks there are great, its a scenic town, and they have the best hotel in the league ( so far). The Power cooled off one of the hottest teams in all of minor league baseball by taking three of four games from Asheville.

I'm writing this from Kannapolis North Carolina. I love this area. Kannapolis is a beautiful part of North Carolina, its a northeast suburb of Charlotte.

The press box here is IDEAL for broadcasting. The view is great, the booth is spacious and air conditioned, and they offer me wireless high speed internet which is about as clutch as Lebron James.

The hotel is nice, it offers all the essentials and has some decent places around it to eat. You cant beat an IHOP and a Cici's pizza buffet. The hotel has all the things you need to survive.

The team is playing GREAT baseball right now. As I write this, they are 7.5 games up with 17 games to go in the first half. I didnt think I'd ever see a team better than the 2004 Charleston Alley Cats, but this team is better.

This team flat out hits, and they hit in CLUTCH situations. Every time they need a big hit, they get it. Even if they blow big leads, they always seem to make up the difference. Whats even more amazing is that this was totally unexpected out of spring training.

Tonight, they wre up 7-0, and Kannapolis tied the game with seven runs in the fourth inning. Still, the Power went on to win their sixth game in a row. They are 21 games above .500 thats insane.

They have a chance to deliver the knockout punch in a four game series this weekend with the Greensboro Grasshoppers.

The atmosphere on the bus, in the clubhouse and around the ballpark is simply amazing. The chemistry is that of something I've never witnessed. I hope that they clinch somewhere besides Lexington, because I'm gonna' go nuts when they clinch, and that press box in Lexington is WIDE OPEN.

Thats where Jack Jackity Jack originated, when they won a game in Lexington, and Christian Snavely hit a BOMB, and I went nuts. I drew several stares in that press box because I went nuts.

Here is to hoping that they wrap it up in Hickory, or at home so I can go absolutely insane when it happens.

Good times to come for sure, this is truly a special team. By for now, from Kannapolis.

--BULL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home