Saturday, September 15, 2007

Random Observations 9/16

Observations:

First things first, congratulations to the 2007 West Virginia Power for one hell of a season. This was my fifth year in minor league baseball, and I had a lot of fun. Though they were swept 3-0 in the Championship, it was still a great year, and I watched a lot of records fall.

Onto some football and my random observations:

Michigan State looked like hell against Pitt, and they will have a tougher time with Notre Dame next weekend than some people realize. If they shoot themselves in the foot with penalties the way they did against the Panthers, they are in a lot of trouble.

Michigan rebounded very nicely and though they were embarrassing on back-to-back weeks to open the year, maybe its time to start taking them seriously again. Notre Dame looks awful in every phase of the game, but I worry about teams like this who play with little to lose.

Florida’s offense is so incredibly dominant that I wouldn’t be shocked to see them take down LSU, my pre-season favorite to win it all. They have so many freakish athletes its sick.

The game of the week featured Louisville and Kentucky. Two great quarterbacks going at it in an absolute thriller. If I had the first pick next year and needed a QB, I’d pick the Woodson kid from UK. His poise in the pocket, his calm demeanor, athleticism, and the terrific touch on his passes all make him a fun guy to watch.

USC took Nebraska to the Woodshed, but did that surprise anybody? I know the Pac-10 is a little stronger this year, but I don’t think anyone has the dogs to compete with USC until they get to the National Championship.

Now to the NFL: These are week one observations and they are way late.

The 49ers defense was awesome, and so was Arizona’s for that matter. That game was not what I expected. After watching the 49ers though, I’d be shocked if the didn’t win 10 games and take that division.

How did the Cowboys allow Burress to light them up and how did the Giants score 30+ against them? I like the Cowboys, but that defense scares me a bit early on.

The Packers beating the Eagles, to me anyways is a HUGE upset, even if it was at Lambeau. The defense they have in Green Bay is the best they’ve had this decade. That d-line might be the deepest in the league. They need a receiver who can stretch the field, otherwise, that offense will keep them from going to the playoffs.

New year, same sorry ass Browns. They were a complete train wreck on offense. That franchise needs to re-evaluate things AGAIN. I still don’t know that Brady Quinn is the answer, but with the rest of the QB’s they’ve got, he might be the only one who gives them any kind of realistic shot.

The Ravens are already riddled with injuries early on, and I like my pre-season prediction (6-10). Forget about the defense, if Ogden is hurt all year and that toe issue doesn’t go away, they are really going to suck.

I was shocked at how well the Titans ran on the Jaguars. That was my biggest surprise of the week. Maybe the Titans will be better than I thought. The defense is really all the Jags have, for their sake, I hope they get better quickly.

Quick Picks for the second week:

Check out my picks on Joel’s website www.hammonbacon.blogspot.com.

Steelers over Bills, Carolina over Houston, Saints over Bucs, Jags over Falcons, Bengals over Browns, 49ers over Rams, Pack over Giants, Colts over Titans, Dallas over Miami, Vikings over Lions, Cards over Seahawks, Chicago over KC, Jets over Ravens, Denver over Oakland, Chargers over Pats, Philly over Washington.

Notice I went with only seven home teams. I also went against the odds here, taking seven underdogs, according the latest spread. I absolutely love this time of year. Enjoy it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home