Wednesday, September 19, 2007

ANOTHER SUNDAY FULL OF EXCITEMENT

Football is hands down the greatest sport on the face of the earth. Let me begin by telling you that I’ve had several problems with my Sirius satellite radio subscription. The signal cuts out about an hour into every drive I make, and the internet version NEVER allowed me to log in.

That all changed this Sunday after I finally reached a human being in their customer service department, after several failed attempts which involved my classic profanity-laced tirades with the voice activated operator who could never understand what message I was trying to convey.

This Sunday, I spent more time in front of my computer listening to “The Red Zone” which is Sirius NFL Radio’s show that lasts eight hours, and it breaks in on every single game every time somebody is on the verge of scoring. It might be the best invention in the history of radio.

So instead of watching the boring ass Steelers-Bills game (which was all I had at 1:00 in West Virginia this Sunday) I listened to the show to follow my fantasy football freaks and chart my picks for the week.

While the one o’clock games did have the Browns-Bengals slugfest and a couple of unexpected blow-out upsets, the intensity failed in comparison to what I witnessed through the four o’clock games.

While both Fox and CBS basically ignored the other games going on, aside from the ones they were showing in this market, “The Red Zone” was ALL OVER IT. I heard the Seattle fumble, and a few minutes later the Neil Rackers game winning field goal for Arizona. Not much later, I heard Longwell’s missed field goal, Kitna’s return, and Hanson’s game winner in overtime in the Lions-Vikings thriller. I didn’t see the highlights of either one of these until the two televised games on CBS and Fox were both over.

At which point, CBS finally put the overtime period of the Raiders-Broncos on. Speaking of which, talk about a no-brainer, calling a time-out when a head case is attempting a potential game winner in overtime just to make him think twice about it, just might be the easiest call of all time. It shifted the momentum of that game, and it showed how well Shanahan knows that team, especially that kicker.

A few surprises: I had no idea the Browns were capable of scoring 51 points in a game this year that may have been the surprise of the week. Houston bitch-slapping Carolina even though Steve Smith caught three td passes was also a shocker. How in the hell does New Orleans get SHALACKED by Tampa Bay??? Is their offense really that bad?? Tampa Bay winning by a touchdown, or a field goal is a surprise, but not a complete and utter jaw dropping shock like that 31-14 victory over last year’s feel-good story.

Some things that just don’t change: The Titans still played the Colts tough, but lost by a pair. This Titans team is a lot better than I thought. Bret Favre has a huge second half for the Packers to help them pull away from the Giants and start out 2-0. He still comes through and performs when he has to. Even though Pittsburgh has a new coaching staff, and they lost another emotional leader on defense from last year, they’ve held opponents to just three points in two games this season.

After two weeks, how are the Saints and Eagles both 0-2?? The Redskins, Texans and Lions are all 2-0?? Of the two 0-2 teams, I like the Eagles to rebound because they’ll eventually get back to running the ball effectively to take pressure of McNabb to balance out that offense, and their d-line won’t wear down as easily as they have, which has made them vulnerable against the run. Of the 2-0 teams, I like the Texans, that defense is stronger than I thought and I believe Matt Schaub’s quick decision making ability will make the difference in the passing game and give this offense an identity.

Here’s to hoping that week three will be just as exciting as week two. One stat that I thought was mildly interesting from Gil Brandt. Since the most recent realignment in 2002, 34 for the 60 playoffs teams since then, started their seasons either 1-1 or 0-2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home